I have come to grips with the fact that I have no hope for being a normal old woman. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's actually a good thing. Don't think for a second that I will be the Granny that most picture...sitting on the front porch, knitting a scarf and wearing a moo moo. Nope, not me. It's just not in the cards for me genetically. You may wonder why this is .... both of the women I call my grandmothers are legitimately crazy. I wish that everyone could be blessed with growing up with spunky, God fearing, hilarious, humble, out of control, loving women like I got to. Those who wonder where my personality comes from immediately know when they meet either of these women.
Let me start with Erma Jean Bailey. She grew up in southern Alabama where she developed the southern drawl that I hear in my head when I think about her. She says things like lightlin(lightening), ruhtard (retard), adds "er" to most words for example pillow is piller, window is winder and so on. Her favorite place to shop is "The Goodwill". She takes pride in finding "a new blouse that she can wear on the cruise next month". She makes the best breakfast that you will ever eat. She loves my Pepaw more than anything in the world. They taught me what love is. When I would spend the night with them as a young girl I would walk by their bedroom at night sometimes and see them dancing. They go on more cruises than anyone I know, and won a twist(the dance) contest on our family cruise. After 51 years they love one another more than anyone I know. She is the funniest woman I know, as well as the most spiritual.
The other woman you should meet is Meme aka Mama Gwen. Coming to visit Meme in the Summer was never boring. She has lived on a college campus raising a dorm full of boys for 16 years. She LOVES "her boys" and they love her back. She is the oldest woman in history to be crowned homecoming queen ... well into her fifties. She is a tiny little thing with heart that doesn't match. She has a huge heart. She has also been single for almost as long as I can remember, although she is one of the most beautiful women for her age. Once she told me, "all the men my age are like parking spots, all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped". So true. She taught me style, and we can and still do share clothes and shoes. She taught me about Jesus and is a major factor in my decision to become a Christian.
I can only pray to be this to my children and grandchildren one day(Lord willing). They show me the kind of woman I want to be.... and am slowing becoming. I see them both in me as I get older and I feel proud. I hope to carry on what they have taught me and be just as crazy as them while doing so.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
No hope
Posted by
Anonymous
at
9:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I absolutely love you so so much!! You are great and I am pretty sure that you will be an amazing grandmother!! Just like Meme =)
I loved this line..."she's a tiny little lady with a heart that doesn't match..." Miss you guh!
Post a Comment