Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the social network


Our generation is so dependant on social networks. It all began with aol instant messenger. Later the fad became myspace (haha), where you had the option to add your personal music and background. Now it is facebook, twitter and who knows what's next.

This is our way of "keeping up" with people. Remembering birthdays. Seeing other's lives on a computer screen. Watching a news feed to see what people are eating or what's on their nerves that day. We write on a person's wall and think that it's a form of flattery.

I have realized something as of late: social networks can be dangerous. The news talks about celebrities who tweet and with one sentence ruin their career, kids who commit suicide because of comments on facebook, young girls who are raped because of a relationship started on myspace. Countless relationships have been broken and marraiges left in ruin.

That being said, I am deciding to delete my facebook account. I want to stop wasting time "stalking" what others are doing and spend more time enjoying the things I am doing. Facebook in particular is my weakness. One of the devil's best tools is facebook, I am convinced. I know that it has caused problems in my life.

Facebook allows you to dig up the past and cause insecurities. The last thing I want is for my relationship to suffer because of status updates and photo albums.

So, now you, my blog friends, will serve as my only social network. You will get to hear my status updates and see my pictures. Because the blogging world is so much better than all that other junk!

Peace Out Facebook, it's been fun :)

3 comments:

Annie said...

good for you! i've been contemplating the same thing for a while, and i keep making excuses, but the truth is: my feelings have been hurt more times than i'd like to admit by seeing pictures or reading status updates. and even though i say i don't, i guarantee you i waste HOURS of my life stalking photos on facebook -- photos that aren't any of my business. i just might be taking your lead on this... are you deleting or deactivating? what about all your photos? just curious how it's all going to work. maybe i just need to bite the bullet and do it! it can't be that hard!

Anonymous said...

mad props yo!

Brooke Bailey said...

Annie, I had a hard time with the same thing. As of now it's deactivated until I solve the picture problem. Once I gather all of my pictures, I plan on totally deleting. I bit the bullet. I had reservations too. But truth be told, people who want to find me know how. What it boiled down to for me was a place for me to show off... change my status to "engaged" one day, post wedding pics, announce pregnancies.... and those things are now reserved for my closest friends.... not the facebook world. I feel like a weight is off of me and love being facebook free :)